February 8-24, 2019
Litter is so much more visible during the winter months; which makes it seem like there is so much more – on exit ramps, at intersections, in ditches, along railroads, around shopping centers, in creeks and streams, all along wooded areas. Winter Wipeout began in 2016 as an opportunity for volunteers to help clean up areas where the litter is much more visible and accessible.
In the coming weeks, as you see littered areas that need cleaning up, please report these areas to Greensboro Beautiful using the link below. Reported and known sites will be posted to an online map where volunteer groups can choose which sites to clean up. Greensboro Beautiful will provide all cleanup supplies, and our goal is to have all sites cleaned up between February 8th and 24th.
How It Works
- Reported and known littered sites will be posted to an online map.
- Volunteers and volunteer groups can select a site to clean up from this map, or suggest a cleanup site of their own.
- Greensboro Beautiful will provide all cleanup supplies — bags, gloves, grabbers, safety vests, and safety signage — to participating groups.
- Sites must be cleaned up anytime between February 8th and 24th.
- Volunteers may post before and after pictures of their cleanup sites to Greensboro Beautiful’s Facebook page, or email photos to Greensboro Beautiful. We’ll post to show what a difference we can make!
- When each cleanup is complete, groups will report the number of bags collected, number of volunteers who participated, and duration of cleanup to Greensboro Beautiful.
- Volunteers may dispose of collected litter with their normal trash, or request disposal assistance by emailing specific location of bagged and collected items to GreensboroBeautiful@gmail.com.